Quiche is NOT one of José’s favorites. Something about the onions not being thoroughly cooked turns him off. Me? I’d pretty much eat quiche every day.
We ran across a recipe for this quiche in the February 2015 issue of Bon Appetit and decided to give it a whirl. The carmelized garlic is the key to this dish and the rosemary & thyme add the perfect savory compliment to the sweetness of the maple syrup.
You can carmelize the garlic and prepare your pie crust (up to the point of freezing it) a day ahead. We haven’t checked yet, but I’m pretty sure this would be great morning-after food.
- 1 pie crust
- 5 large eggs
- 3 heads of garlic, cloves peeled
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¾ cup crème fraîche
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 9” pie tin – dark bottom preferable
- Parchment or aluminium foil
- Pie weights or dried beans for blind baking a pie crust
- kitchen scale
- Pastry brush
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Roll dough to ~14” round. Fit into pie crust, trim excess leaving ~1 inch overhang. Fold overhang under and crimp to form a fluted edge.
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Remove crust from freezer, line with parchment or aluminium foil, fill with pie weights (or dried beans) and bake for ~30 minutes.
- Lightly beat one egg in a small bowl.
- Remove pie crust from oven, remove parchment with pie weights, brush crust with lightly beaten egg and return to oven.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Place peeled garlic cloves in a small saucepan, cover with water. Add 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt and bring to a boil.
- Boil garlic until the cloves soften, about 3 minutes. Drain, discarding water.
- Wipe saucepan dry, and heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic cloves and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes until cloves begin to brown.
- Add balsamic vinegar & 1 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes until garlic is tender.
- Add maple syrup, rosemary, thyme & 1 teaspoon each of kosher salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 5-8 minutes until liquid thickens to a syrup consistency. Remove from stovetop and set aside to cool.
- Whisk crème fraîche, cream, and remaining 4 eggs in a medium bowl until well combined. Season with ~1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add ~½ of the COOLED garlic heads to the egg mixture. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Scatter 1-1½ cups grated cheddar over cooled crust.
- Top with spinach.
- Pour reserved egg mixture over spinach.
- Pour remaining garlic with the syrup over the quiche. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Place in 350°F oven. Bake 35-40 minutes until center is set and top is golden.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes.